Why did I get this Assessment Notice?

Georgia state law, under Senate Bill 346 (effective January 1, 2011), requires annual assessment notices be sent to every property owner. Previously, notices were only sent if the property value changed or a property owner filed a Return of Value. Under the new law, the notices must also include an estimated tax amount.

Do I need to respond to this Assessment Notice?

No. However, if you believe your property valuation is incorrect, you have the right to file an appeal.

Should the estimated tax amount match last year's actual tax bill?

Yes, with the exceptions of a change in value, exemptions or new parcels. New parcels do not have a prior year tax bill, and does not include street lights and solid waste fees in the estimated tax amount.

Should the estimated tax amount match this coming year's tax bill?

SB 346 requires using the prior year mill rates. The current year tax bill amount is unknown as of the mailing of this Assessment Notice. Local levying authorities have not finalized budgets or established current year mill rates.

Will the estimated tax amount be the same as my actual tax bill?

See answer to previous question

What do I need to do if I disagree with this assessed value?

You have the right to file an appeal. You must do so in writing no later than 45 days after the date of the assessment notice.

What are the millage rates?

The millage, or tax rate, is the rate used to calculate taxes on property. Prior year rates are listed at the bottom of your Assessment Notice in the column labeled ‘Millage’. Current year rates are unknown at the time assessment notices are mailed; levying authorities establish millage rates prior to mailing of tax bills.

Why is my street lights charge different from my neighbors?

Traffic Engineering sets the rates for street lights. Depending upon where you live, rates are assessed either on (1) mill rate set by the County Commission, or (2) front-foot of the property and type of street light. For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at (706) 821-1847.

Why do I have a solid waste charge on this notice?

The County Commission voted in 2001 to add solid waste fees to the property tax bill. If you believe that you should not be charged this fee, please contact the Solid Waste Department at (706) 592-3200.

When will I receive my actual tax bill?

Typically, tax bills are mailed in the fall of each year; in August or September.

Does the estimated tax amount include my homestead exemption?

Yes. All prior years and current year approved exemptions are included in the estimated tax amount.

How can I find out more information about my property value?

For more information, contact the Board of Assessors at (706) 821-2310 or click the Quick Link Property Search.

What is the deadline for filing Personal Property Returns?

The due date is April 1 of each year.

What is the deadline for filing a Freeport Exemption Application?

The due date is April 1 of each year, after April 1 you may receive a partial exemption.

    • April 2 – April 30 (66.67%)
    • May 1 – May 31 (58.33%)
    • June 1 (50%)

Failure to file by June 1 shall constitute waiver of the entire exemption for the year (%).